Here are additional leadership resources related to Triple Crown Leadership (a 2013 International Book Awards winner in the business: general category):
- Book Club Discussion Guide. Many leadership teams have found that book clubs or discussion groups outside the swirl of daily pressures can be helpful for team-building, leadership development, and team alignment in ways that pay big dividends. We recommend discussing Triple Crown Leadership with your management team, board, work group, or other team. This document provides questions to guide your discussions.
- Personal Values Exercise. As we write in the book, leaders must lead themselves first. That includes achieving clarity about your personal values–and ensuring congruence between your personal values and those of your organization. Click here to get started.
- Interviewing for Heart. Most people focus their interview questions on “head” matters like knowledge, skills, and experience. Those are important, but triple crown leaders also probe for “heart” matters like character, emotional intelligence, and fit with the organization’s culture. Here are questions to help you do the latter.
- Leadership Bookshelf. Want to improve your leadership? Want to make sure you are up to speed on the latest leadership books and the classics? Want a list of books not only leadership but also personal development, ethics, sustainability, and entrepreneurship? View a list of some of our favorites (last updated June 2013).
- Triple Crown Leadership Introduction. Click here to pull up a PDF of the Introduction to Triple Crown Leadership.
- Triple Crown Leadership Chapter 1. Click here to pull up a PDF of Chapter 1 of Triple Crown Leadership.
Leaders Speak Interview Series:
For Triple Crown Leadership, we interviewed leaders in 61 organizations in 11 countries. Here are edited excerpts of many of those interviews:
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Thomas McCoy, Former Executive Vice President, Legal, Corporate, and Public Affairs: “Values-Based Leadership with an Indomitable Will”
- Baltimore City Schools, Dr. Andres Alonso, CEO: “Turning Around a School System”
- Bright Horizons Family Solutions, Mary Ann Tocio, President and COO: “Creating a Great Place to Work”
- Ch2m Hill: Nancy Tuor, Former Group President: “The Job of a Lifetime: Leading an Incredible Transformation”
- ChinaNetCloud: Steve Mushero, Co-Founder, CEO, and CTO: “Leading a Tech Startup in China”
- Clif Bar and Company: Kit Crawford, Co-Owner and Co-CEO: “Sustainable Leadership”
- DuPont Corporation: John Krol, Former Chairman and CEO: “It Takes Teamwork, Trust, and Values to Win”
- Giraff Technologies: Stephen Von Rump, CEO and Cofounder: “What’s Different About Leading Startups?”
- Greensburg GreenTown: Daniel Wallach, Founder and Executive Director: “Rebuilding Green After a Tornado”
- Institute for Enterprise Ethics: Dr. Daniel Sweeney, Director: “Breakdowns and Trans-Generational Culture”
- Mayo Clinic: Dr. Leonard Berry & Dr. Kent Seltman: “What Makes Mayo Clinic Great”
- Medtronic: Bill George, Former CEO: “Translating Mission & Values into Results”
- MidCountry Financial Corporation: Robert Hatcher, President and CEO: “Building a Values-Based Company”
- North Castle Partners: Charles Baird, Managing Partner: “Value and Values”
- Perkins School for the Blind: Steven Rothstein, President: “A Tireless Focus on Excellence”
- Pitney Bowes: Michael Critelli, Former Chairman and CEO: “Adaptable Leadership”
- Princeton University: Dr. Shirley Tilghman, President: “Leading a World-Class Institution”
- Quovadx: Harvey Wagner, Former President and CEO: “Bending the Focus of a Company”
- The SEED Foundation: Eric Adler and Raj Vinnakota, Co-Founders and Managing Directors: “Making It Work as Co-Founders”
- Share Our Strength: Bill Shore, Founder and Executive Director: “Leadership for Bold Social Impact”
- Strategic Air Command: General John Chain, Former Commander in Chief: “Do What’s Right”
- Tyco International: Edward Breen, CEO, and Jack Krol, Former Chairman: “Why Tyco Threw Out Its Entire Board”
- University of Denver: Dan Ritchie, former Chancellor: “Transforming a University”
- Vanguard Group: John Bogle, Founder and Former Chairmain: “Vanguard’s Values-Based Visionary”
- Xerox: Ursula Burns, CEO: “A Vision of Great Leadership”
- Zappos.com: Tony Hsieh, CEO: “Values and Culture Key to Success”
Other Leadership Resources:
Triple Crown Leadership is a Winner of the 2013 International Book Awards in the “Business: General” category.
Bob Vanourek has been named one of the Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior by Trust Across America.
The book was also an “Award-Winning Finalist” in the 2012 USA Best Book Awards (in the Business: Management & Leadership category), sponsored by USA Book News (the premier online magazine and review site for mainstream and independent publishing houses).
Today we see too many leadership failures, too many leadership breakdowns and scandals. We need leadership that can build excellent, ethical, and enduring organizations. We need triple crown leadership.
Connect: Click on the links below to buy the book and connect with us on Twitter and Facebook. Enter your email in the bottom right to sign up for our monthly eNewsletter. We look forward to connecting with you.